Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Snow Days, handwritten letters vs typing, adult play, Mozart, Weezer, Euler, how the body reacts to playing the violin, Bohr, Planck, Purcell, HEGEL, Dirac, cultural differences, Frohlich, cryptography, and the mysterious Delete Squad.

How in an instant...the world can change. #SnowDays

If you type with your least dominant hand on the computer, nobody can tell the difference, unless they watch you type. With handwritten letters, the non-ambidextrous cannot hide as well.

Adults need to play more. Not just physically, or sexually, but mentally as well.

Sometimes I read my future in the soap bubbles left in the sink. #NotSoCommonDivination

When society uses the Internet, paper (and other old-fashion methods) is paramount security.

Labels and specialization, and how they affect brain connections.

Mozart's Symphony 39.

I try to see no word as a limitation to my understanding. I try to read things that challenge my vocabulary, and when doing so, see beyond the jargon. Under every big word are at least ten smaller words that make more sense.

"God took a rib from Adam, ground it up in a centrifuge machine
Mixed it with cardamom and cloves, microwaved it on the popcorn setting
While Adam was like, “(Woo-hoo) That really hurt!”
(Going off into the tundra)
So pissed at God and he started lighting mighty forest fires, stealing osprey eggs
Messing with the bees who were trying to pollinate the Echinacea
Until God said, “I’ma smite you with loneliness and break your heart in two”
And Adam wept and wailed, tearing out his hair, falling on his knees, looked to the sky and said,
“Thank God...for girls!" - Weezer

Euler.

"...I soon found an opportunity to be introduced to a famous professor Johann Bernoulli. ...True, he was very busy and so refused flatly to give me private lessons; but he gave me much more valuable advice to start reading more difficult mathematical books on my own and to study them as diligently as I could; if I came across some obstacle or difficulty, I was given permission to visit him freely every Sunday afternoon and he kindly explained to me everything I could not understand..." -- Leonhard Euler (had a clever teacher)

Bulletproof Chai...is interesting.

What is information...really? (I have considered this question before, but think it's important to revisit it).

Learning how my body reacts to playing the violin a lot. My entire right shoulder says I need to take it a little slower getting into it. As does my collar bone. (I fixed the collar bone part by wearing a scarf while I play).

Those moments where you either just breathe a lot or cry.

Letter writing, although timing consuming and more effort than other forms of communication, means more. <3 Happy to finally send some replies in the mail!

"Stop telling God what to do with his dice."
AND
"The meaning of life consists in the fact that it makes no sense to say that life has no meaning.” ― Niels Bohr

Ideas have alphas... O_o "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.” ― Max Planck

"I have not yet lost a feeling of wonder, and of delight, that this delicate motion should reside in all the things around us, revealing itself only to him who looks for it. I remember, in the winter of our first experiments, just seven years ago, looking on snow with new eyes. There the snow lay around my doorstep—great heaps of protons quietly precessing in the earth's magnetic field. To see the world for a moment as something rich and strange is the private reward of many a discovery." — Edward Mills Purcell

“...this is love. I have my self-consciousness not in myself but in the other. I am satisfied and have peace with myself only in this other and I AM only because I have peace with myself; if I did not have it then I would be a contradiction that falls to pieces. This other, because it likewise exists outside itself, has its self-consciousness only in me; and both the other and I are only this consciousness of being-outside-ourselves and of our identity; we are only this intuition, feeling, and knowledge of our unity. This is love, and without knowing that love is both a distinguishing and the sublation of this distinction, one speaks emptily of it.” ― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

"When you ask what are electrons and protons I ought to answer that this question is not a profitable one to ask and does not really have a meaning. The important thing about electrons and protons is not what they are but how they behave, how they move. I can describe the situation by comparing it to the game of chess. In chess, we have various chessmen, kings, knights, pawns and so on. If you ask what chessman is, the answer would be that it is a piece of wood, or a piece of ivory, or perhaps just a sign written on paper, or anything whatever. It does not matter. Each chessman has a characteristic way of moving and this is all that matters about it. The whole game of chess follows from this way of moving the various chessmen.” ― Paul A.M. Dirac

Dirac brings up an interesting point - what matters about humans - appearance and composition, or our behavior?

That, and metaphors are at the essence of our understanding. Bravo, Dirac.

Cultural differences as an aspect of security.

Word choice differences between cultures. Happy vs. Cheerful. Cheerful is not absent in our vocabulary, but I think it's used less often than Happy in American culture.

The necessity of breaking something down slowly before you can do it faster. (in learning).

"One of the most significant steps in the history of human thinking may well have occurred when the static, geometric concept of symmetry and its rather successless applications to dynamics were abandoned in favour of a dynamical concept of symmetry." -- Jürg Fröhlich

Route Transcriptions in Cryptography.

I'm posting this before I lose anymore thoughts to the Internet's mysterious Delete Squad.

Cheers Dears.

No comments:

Post a Comment